Yoga for Healthy Backs
“You are as old as your spine.” – Chinese proverb
Your spine is an amazing feat of biological engineering, capable of moving in a multitude of ways.
The nervous system extends through the vertebrae, and stiffness in the back can cause problems in other areas of the body. A painful, inflexible back is at best uncomfortable, at worst debilitating, affecting activities of everyday life.
The ‘Yoga for a healthy back’ class is a gentle yoga therapy class aimed at the following:
- all ages, all shapes and all levels of fitness and yoga experience
- individuals with back problems are welcome even if unable to sit on the floor.
In each hour long session you will awaken the spine by:
- relaxing the whole spine
- developing flexibility and tone of the back and abdomen
- gently stretching and twisting according to your ability
- lengthening and extending the spine
- freeing the pelvis and shoulders
- developing awareness of your spine and how it can move
- learning about the psoas muscle and the importance of this for back health and general wellbeing
- learning how to allow energy to flow through the spine.